For more info, see speaker & performer bios here
< FRIDAY 9/21: 6:30~10:00 PM> Unity Performing Arts Center (UPAC)
Ethan Miller & Full Circle
Populist Era Labor Songs & Anthems
History of the Human\Corporate Confrontation - how they got the upper hand...
The Modern Populist Renaissance: why this time's different, why this time we win.
Full Circle & Inanna, Sisters of Rhythm
A Cappella World Music Magic & Drums in Excelsis!!!
Emergencies at Hand & the Work Ahead: Security too demands a post-corporate world (Now attending by phone...)
Corporate America vs. Human America - New Paradigms for Nonviolent Revolt
< SATURDAY 9/22: 6:30~9:30 > Unity Performing Arts Center
The Raging Grannies
Radical Grandmas know, sing, stomp best!
Doris "Granny D" Haddock
- Politically Gelding Big Bodies - snicking corporate wealth, noise and power out of democratic politics for once and for all
High energy Bangor folk troupe brings the beat to the environment, activism, and workers' rights...
Not Right or Left, but Up and Down - Bringing the Force back down to the People.
Decolonize thy Mind and the Commons - Resisting the Suction of Corporate Life
< Sat AM > Unity Community Center & UPAC
USING ALTERNATIVE MEANS & MEDIA TO EXPOSE
THE CORPORATE COUP
AND WHAT CAN\MUST NOW BE DONE
<< 9:00 - 10:30 >>
- - Jim Hightower, Cathy Melio (Grassroots Radio Coalition), Meredith DeFrancesco (WERU Radio Activism),
Claire Holman (WMPG, Maine Youth Radio Project)...
- - Rob Fish (Independent Media Center - Maine), Paul Drinan (Portland Public Access)...
Countercoup Press Work:
- - Lance Tapley (Portland Phoenix), Burt Wartel (Maine Labor News)...
<< 11:00 - 12:30 >>
- - Ronnie Dugger, John Rensenbrink...
Countercoup Ed & Teach-ins:
- - Tom Fusco (Maine Independent Green Party), Matt Schlobohm (Maine Global Action Network), Ethan Miller (Maine Youth Campfire Collective)..
Countercoup Performance & Direct Action:
- - Granny D, Jim Freeman (Native Forest Network), Rev. Billy...
ISSUE WORKSHOPS ( led by Maine NGOs )
< Sat PM > Unity Community Center & UPAC
WHO ARE THE BIG PLAYERS IN EACH ARENA?
HOW DO THEY ENFORCE THEIR WILL??
WHERE ARE THEY STILL VULNERABLE???
<< 1:30 - 3:00 >>
Big Corporate Power vs. Peace
Defense, Peace & Justice Arena
Rosalie Tyler Paul (Peace Action Maine), Jack Bussel (Veterans for Peace - Maine), Debbie Leighton, Witness for Peace - Maine
BigCorPow vs. Labor
Union, Human Rights & Sweat Shop Arena
Dennis Norton (Greater Portland Labor Council), Peter Kellman (Program on Corporations, Law & Democracy), Jose Soto (Maine Rural Workers Coalition), Jack McKay (Greater Bangor Labor Council and Bangor Clean Clothes Campaign)...
BigCorPow vs. Medicine
Health & Body Politic Arena
Special Introduction of the Community Power Analysis
- a potent new technique to plan and execute effective grassroots actions
Tammy Greaton (Maine Peoples Alliance), Susan Longley (Maine State Senate)...
<< 3:30 - 5:00 >>
BigCorPow vs. the Environment (at Common Ground Fair*)
Agro-industrial Rape & Pollution Arena
Jim Freeman (Native Forest Network), Tom Fusco (Maine Green Independent Party), Mitch Lansky (author of Beyond the Beauty Strip), C.R. Lawn (MOFGA)...
* Youth Enterprise Zone tent at MOFGA fairgrounds
BigCorPow vs. Consciousness
Education, Media & Corporate Conditioning Arena
David Solmitz (author of Schooling for Humanity: When
Big Brother Isn't Watching), Carole Taylor (Media Watch 101, Bates College), Lance Tapley (former writer/editor with the San Francisco Chronicle, Providence: Journal-Bulletin
& Portland Press Herald)...
BigCorPow vs. Democracy
Referendum/Election/Legislator Buyout Arena
Jonathan Carter (Forest Ecology Network), Claire Gelinas (INVERT/ROSC), (Tammy Greaton (Maine Peoples Alliance), Cindy Hoeh (Alliance for Democracy), Roxanne Munksgaard (Maine Citizen Leadership Fund & Dirigo Alliance)...
COLLABORATION STRATEGY WORKSHOPS
< Sun PM > Unity Performing Arts Center
Finding cooperative inter-group approaches to the
very new and old threats we will face in 2002
<< 1:30 - 3:00 >>
SESSION I: ESSENTIAL NEW QUESTIONS
<< 3:30 - 5:00 >>
- How do we present our resistance to corporate war
in its true patriotic tones? (How can we expose the
central corporate role in this unfolding tragedy while
not impugning honest love for the red, white & blue?)
- How do we make people see what real US security
would entail? (cf, Michael Moore, "How can we
ever be secure as long as we keep half the world in
poverty so we can have cheap running shoes?”)
- How can we stay effective in our issue areas while
corporate/military/media forces continue to attack
our civil liberties and demonize dissent?
- How can we support and strengthen each other in
the long hard winter to come?
- In shorter words, where do we go from here?
SESSION II:NEW PARADIGMS & PROPOSALS FOR
LONG HAUL GRASSROOTS COLLABORATION
- Current candidate recommendations -
Corporate Code Revision (expand directors'
duties far beyond profit maximization)
Corporate Personhood Revocation (strip away
their illicit First Amendment and political rights)
Direct Democracy Enhancement (enact easier,
more muscular Swiss-style direct democracy - click here!)
Debate, Decide and Vote!